Wednesday 1 June 2016

It's Adventure Time // ThirstyInMelb #1

Yeah, it took us 3 days to come up with this hashtag, clearly we're not creative people.
Anyhoots! It feels like I travel a lot haha but no, it's just that I get inspired to blog only after I travel.... Does this mean I should travel more? Hahaha

In the beginning of the semester, January perhaps, me and Liyana were planning to travel to Taiwan together but Iffah was like "Hey, wanna go to Australia?" and we were like *shrugs* why not?? We knew we needed to decide on a budget for our trip and we initially set it aside to SGD 1000 but increased it to SGD 1300 after some planning.


*PRO TIP FOR TRAVELING*

I honestly encourage looking up the places you wanna go online before visiting those places.
One for financial purposes, so you can estimate your budget but also to check on the operating hours! Not everything is open everyday and the timings can be pretty weird...

So back to the Melbourne trip, we took Scoot Airlines and our flight departed at 1:20am so we arrived in Melbourne Tullamarine Airport at around 10:30am. We knew a few people staying in Melbourne so we were thankful we got some tips from them. One of them is my cousin who is a cabin crew based in Melbourne and she mentioned there's this Opus store that sells SIM cards at an affordable rate. For AUD2 a day, we got 500MB of data and unlimited texts and calls to Australian numbers. That's not too bad but the bad thing was the queue, which we waited an hour for to finally get our SIM cards.


We booked an Airbnb home in Footscray and it was such a cosy place, the neighbourhood was really nice too. Okay so the Skybus which is the bus that brings you from the airport to the main city area is like $19 and when we calculated the cab ride to our place, it seemed smarter to take the cab as we were all tired anyway.



After we settled in, we were supposed to do grocery shopping but Iffah found out that Luna Park was closed for the rest of the week so we had to go as soon as we arrived.













This is one of the many shots I have of Iffah hahaha








"I don't even know why I'm so happy?"

I swear, without the SIM card, we would spend half our time there aimlessly walking because there aren't much helpful signs there so we heavily depended on Google maps, thus I highly recommend getting data there for your phone or at least get a hardcopy map.



(so the picture on the right is actually in front one of the houses on the way to the train station from our house but I wanted the format to be pretty so I put it here instead of chronological order, picture on the left is the entrance of Luna Park hahaha)








We only had 2 hours to spend there but we still decided to pay the tickets for all the rides.
We went to the mirror maze first because for some reason, there aren't any mirror mazes in Singapore????? And we were like legit idiots in the mirror maze..... Most people we know said that Luna Park is boring but honestly, me and Liyana are scaredy cats so despite the rides being lame-ass we almost shat our pants in like 2 of them; Spider and Power Surge. Like holy balls, Power Surge you'd be literally parallel to the ground with nothing but the buckle keeping you from falling what the fuhhhhhhhhh me and Liy, during the ride were like "OMFG AHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUQQQQQ BUT THE VIEW IS SO PRETTY (as seen above) BUT HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIT"
The Great Scenic Railway was pretty amazing too, we saw the sunset from this so that was surreal.....
The Ghost Ride was......lol hahaha

After Luna Park, Iffah's friend's, Zaki's family wanted to meet us for dinner so yayyyyy finally we were having real food since we left Singapore.
That's it for Day 1! I know doing my post by days is not the most ideal situation but I really wanted this to be informative enough for you to have a fun trip but at the same time be able to discover Melbourne on your own (thus which trams take you to where and all, not provided, also because I'm too lazy hahaha)

I hope you give me support (cheh) and look forward to the following days from my Melbourne trip!
xoxo
Squidkid

1 comment:

  1. I really like your photos!Looking forward to the next day. Take your time small kid. Haha.

    ReplyDelete